Wednesday 8 July 2009

A couple of healthy eating pitfalls.


Green Britain Day - 2 days to go!

In one of my earlier posts I briefly mentioned the on-going food-labelling saga, and how food companies are making their products appear to be healthier for you than they actually are, simply by manipulating the way in which you are presented with the information about them....

Here's a quick question for you;

Which is a healthier option for lunch - A supermarket-bought salad sandwich, or a 'Big-Mac'?

Like most people, you probably chose the salad sandwich - but it's not necessarily the case, as this newspaper article shows;

Salad Sandwich or BigMac?

A few years ago I bought a chicken salad sandwich from a local supermarket's so- called 'Healthy Eating' range. Now unlike the example in quoted in the article above, this one contained no mayonnaise, or other sauces. But I was horrifed when I looked at the list of ingredients - it read like a chemist's lab inventory!

'Healthy Eating'??......I don't think so!!

Unfortunately, by the time I got round to reading the ingredients, I'd already eaten the sandwich, so I couldn't take it back.

So, learn from my mistake - check the ingredients BEFORE you buy pre-packaged sandwiches or better still - make your own, then you know exactly what's in them! ( And if you've grown your own salad for your sandwiches - even better! )

As a general guide, the fewer additives there are in your food, the greener they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment