Tuesday 21 July 2009

Some concerns about solar energy generation


Keep Britain Green - Do your bit today!

Some concerns about solar energy generation

I am a big fan of solar energy - from a green perspective it is just about the perfect power source - clean, silent, and plentiful. I have many solar gadgets, from calculators to phone & battery chargers.

The cost of converting your home to run on solar power is high, but coming down all the time, so everything looks great on the solar power front.



So what am I concerned about?

I've been looking at companies who are producing solar energy on an industrial scale - nothing wrong with that you might think - it's certainly better than using fossil fuels!

Maybe I'm being too picky, but looking at the websites of these companies, they show acres of land covered with huge, gleaming, solar panels...

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that picture?

Shouldn't the land be used differently?

I'm actually of the opinion that solar power should be generated in millions of smalls ways - like the gadgets I mentioned, and on individual domestic scales - each home generating just what it needs.

But of course the power generation companies will argue against that, because it cuts them out completely. They want you to keep buying power from them, so they can make massive profits and pay themselves huge salaries.

What do you think? Am I being too picky?

No comments:

Post a Comment